The Executive Chef of Park Inn by Radisson, Cape Town, Newlands, Tharwat Londt, shares his recipe for Eggs Benedict and Hollandaise sauce which is sure enough to brighten up any Spring morning. Try out this delectable breakfast recipe in the comfort of your own home!
This recipe serves 2.
Smoked salmon benedict.
You will need an English muffin
Some smoked salmon
Fresh wild rocket
2 eggs the freshest eggs possible
2 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon of cold water
120g butter melted and clarified
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In a medium heatproof bowl set over (but not in) a large saucepan filled with 5cms of simmering water, whisk the egg yolks with the cold water and salt until warm to the touch. Slowly drizzle in half of the melted butter in a thin stream, whisking constantly until incorporated.
- Continue whisking in the melted butter until the sauce is thick and emulsified. Whisk in the lemon juice and set aside.
- (For béarnaise use white wine vinegar instead of lemon juice and add some chopped fresh tarragon)
- Fill a medium-sized saucepan with about 10 cm of water and bring to the boil, then drop it down to a gentle simmer and add 1 tablespoon of spirit vinegar, the vinegar helps to coagulate the egg white and hold that “perfect” poached egg shape.
- If possible crack the eggs into its own ramekin so as to make it things a little easier to place them into the water and you will be able to remove any bits of shell that might fall into the egg
- Next, stir the water to create a vortex, then gently drop your eggs into the middle of the whirlpool, this helps to form “the white jacket” around the egg yolk. Leave these to poach until your desired temperature, about 3 ½ minutes for soft poached.
- While that is poaching, cut the muffin in halves like a burger bun and toast.
- Place muffin on a plate and top with fresh rocket and salmon
- When your eggs are ready, using a slotted spoon gently lift them out of the water and allow the excess water to drip off, then gently place the egg on top of the muffin
- Now top with hollandaise and season with fresh cracked black pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Bon appetite.
For more information visit:
T: +27 (21) 8226500
Directions to Park Inn
10 Hemlock road
021 822 6500